CEQ in Black
A HIGH FIDELITY, DUAL PASSIVE & ACTIVE 6-BAND DISCRETE MIX AND MASTERING EQ
The CEQ is a fully hand-built, inductor based discrete equalizer using true 'Western Electric' era inductor design, expanded and adapted Pultec passive resonant shelves & boosts; a Neumann PEV lacquer/vinyl cutting midrange boost and a novel tailored active mid cut circuit that adjusts not only frequencies but also the reactivity of audio and music.
Acquiring and cascading several vintage and modern equalizers often adds unnecessary line amplifiers, unwanted transformer coloration and soundstage collapse to mixes and masters.
The CEQ puts all of these filters in one 5RU build, and offers the ability to run ‘single ended’ by placing the output transformers and input buffers on switches for a variety of transformation choices and goals.
Furthermore, the novel 'Shift' control switches an entire second EQ filter set in the low filters of the EQ, giving an entirely different EQ soundstage and tonal shift of the whole unit. This essentially offers another build tone of the entire equalizer with the flip of a switch.
All inductors are custom wound specifically for the CEQ using heritage 'powder core' toroids.
The selectable output transformer is sourced from a legendary 'rogue' winder from the 1960's (in Chicago) who makes these uniquely for the CEQ for a large vintage tone transformation.
While the CEQ is equally amazing during tracking, it is tuned and optimized sonically for placing on the stereo buss for 2-track mastering and the 'essence of the record' while mixing.
- Treble Boost: 2.5k, 4.2k, 8k, 10k (low inductance), 10k (high inductance), 13.9k, 18k (bell, variable Q);18k, 15k, 10k, 6k, 1k (shelf)
- Treble Cut: 24k, 18k, 12k, 10k, 6k, 4k (shelf)
- Mid Boost: 8.2k, 6.3k, 4k, 3k, 2.5k, 1.8k, 1k, 820, 680, 470, 310 (bell)
- Mid Cut: 9.3k, 6.3k, 4.5k, 3k, 2.1k, 1.3k, 1k, 820, 470, 260 (bell, active, dynamic Q)
- Bass Cut: 27hz, 50, 80, 140, 220, 480 (Pultec resonant shelf)
- Bass Boost: 47hz, 70, 100, 160, 200, 340 (Pultec resonant shelf)
- True 'Hardwire' Bypass switch
- Fully discrete, through hole components for all amplifiers
- Complete passive inductor equalizer front panel section
- Input Impedance > 10k, passive, single ended; Input Buffer selectable on switch
- Output - selectable transformer balanced or single ended: both outputs drive 600 ohms to +20dBu, 10k to +24dBu
- 'Classic' linear regulated power supply (transformer based) uses +/- 24v @ 2A