Classic. Smooth. Versatile.
Taking inspiration from the fabled Sony C-37A, Manley Labs introduces the Manley Reference Silver Microphone. Featuring an American built capsule by David Josephson and a Manley designed circuit, this microphone has a warm and rich tone.
The Manley Reference Silver Microphone offers a mechanical selector on the rear of the head basket that is switchable between cardioid and omni pick-up patterns. Boasting a mic grade 5670 vacuum tube, Manley IRON® transformers, and a low-noise switch mode power supply, the Manley Reference Silver Microphone is a studio workhorse.
This microphone is at home in-front of instruments that range from female vocalists, to saxophones, from drum overheads to banjos. Use the Manley Reference Silver Microphone where you might be thinking about a ribbon, and use it with confidence!
After 27 years since the debut of the first Manley Reference Gold and Reference Cardioid tube microphones which have since become modern classics, we introduce to you the Manley Reference Silver Microphone. The audio inspiration for this handcrafted beauty begins with the 1950s classic Sony C-37a microphone, and specifically with California capsule maker David Josephson's fantastic recreation of the C-37’s C-3 capsule which features an adjustable acoustic chamber on the rear of the capsule for the user to switch between Cardioid and Omni pickup patterns (see the adjacent photo for a close-up). This distinctive capsule is the heart of the rich and creamy tone that the Manley Reference Silver Mic delivers today, and reliably with a five year factory warranty. The old SONY mics are super-rare at this point, if you can find a decent working example of one!
Inside the mic, we are using a different circuit from our other two microphones. The fragile high impedance signal from the capsule first hits a FET sitting underneath the 5670 vacuum tube’s cathode which then amplifies the signal into a more robust voltage that our hand-wound Manley IRON® microphone output transformer sends out to your microphone preamplifier. Output level from this mic is a wee bit lower compared to our other two microphones, but after careful consideration coming through the Beta-testing phase of development, we decided to leave it there as this mic will find a forever-home in front of your loudest instruments such as snare drum, guitars, and toms. It's a real natural there!
Sonic character of the Reference Silver is on the rich and warm side. You'll find this microphone stunning with female vocals and saxophones, with a round character that is never sibilant or boxy. A brass section will sound rich and cohesive. This microphone with its bountiful and warm middle tonality also is a natural for drum overheads where you might have too much brightness off the cymbals from other microphones. It is a very classic sounding microphone, which is to be expected since its innovative capsule design harkens back to the 1950s. Use the Manley Reference Silver Microphone where you might be thinking about a ribbon, and use it with confidence!
- Condenser Transducer based on vintage Sony C-37A Hand Made in USA by Josephson Audio
- Single-Sided Large Diaphragm Capsule Edge Tensioned
- 5 Micron Evaporated Gold Diaphragm 1" diameter
- Dual Pattern Cardioid or Omni Directional adjustable via vent on the backplate
- 5670 Internal Vacuum Tube Head Amplifier
- Constant Current Source for Tube Minimizes Noise and Tube Selection
- Hand Wound Nickel Core Manley Iron Output Transformer
- Output Impedance: 30 Ohms
- High Pass Filter Switch -3dB @ 55Hz 6dB/8va
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10Hz-30kHz, AMP to 60kHz
- MAXIMUM INPUT SPL: 150 dB SPL at Capsule
- SENSITIVITY: 7mV/Pa
- AMPLIFIER TYPE: 2 Triode Gain Block Lo Z Output
- OUTPUT POLARITY: Balanced XLR, Pin 2 Hot, Pin 3 Low
- AMPLIFIER DISTORTION: Less Than 0.05 % THD+N BW 22-22 kHz (1kOhm Load, 1kHz -40dBV Output)
- AMPLIFIER NOISE: Typically -108 dBV “A Weighted”
- BODY: Etched Silver Anodized Aluminum
- Mic Weight: 1.5 lbs
- PSU Weight: 2.35 lbs
- Mic Size: 2" x 9.7" x 4.5" (including suspension)
- PSU Size: 5" x 3.3" x 9.3" (including handle)
- Custom Designed Outboard Switched Mode PSU 90V ~ 250VAC Universal Voltage Operation 50Hz-60Hz
- Power Consumption: 8 Watts
- PSU Mains Fuse: 5mm X 20 mm, 2A @ 250V, CERAMIC, Slo-Blo